Thread: Load rating 126 all terrain recommendation

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,065 Times in 2,834 Posts
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, ordered 4 of these monsters, $1900 fitted and balanced, based upon what I have gleaned from other tire manufacturers, at 30psi the tires should still have a load capacity of around 900-1000kg each. at 50psi its 1700kg each.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudnut (13th July 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,414 Times in 546 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Terramax you mean?
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrazilianY60 View Post
    The Terramax you mean?
    I went with the BFG HD Terrain, the Terra Max didn't stack up in my mind. A lot cheaper but ......

5. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (13th July 2024)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Picked up 4 of the BFG HD Terrains today, beast of a tire, manufactured for the heavy USA 4wd vehicle market, GMC/F trucks, Chev Pickup up with high torque outputs. They fitted up well to the Nissan patrol GU factory alloys and the service from The Tyre Centre in Mitcham Vic was excellent, could not be more helpful and price was the lowest in Melb to boot.
    Regarding the load rating V pressure, the jousting continues! I received another email this morning with another snippet however not addressing the question, which was what is the load rating of the tire at 20psi and what detrimental effect re heat build up might I see running for 900klm at this pressure in a heavily loaded vehicle in 30Deg Temps?

The reply was dont run the tires below 20psi or you risk rolling them off the rim. They recommend a minimum of 30psi for extended deflated driving and to keep speed below 15klphr. So some more valuable info but still nothing on the load capacity at reduced pressure. I have re-worded my multiple questions to BFG/Michelin again to specifically ask what is the recommended minimum pressure for a tire with a 600kg individual load and a tire with a 1000kg load in instances of extended sand driving - will see what they come back with.HD Terrains 3.jpg

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (19th July 2024), Plasnart (19th July 2024), Touses (20th July 2024)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, on the info dribbles in, and its not as supporting of my original assumptions, which is a piss off, but not entirely a bad news story.

BFG finally came back to advise the difference between the load capacity of the HD to the Standard All Terrain and Mud Terrain is the rated upper pressure, being 80PSI for the HD and 65PSI for the AT and MT.

The 121 and 126 rated tires have the same load carrying capacity at 45PSI, so for lower pressure ranges there appears to be no added value going with the HD range - would have been great to have this info as late as this morning and I would have detuned to the All Terrain KO2 instead as my load rating is the same and $200 a tire cheaper.
    At 45PSI the load carry capacity is identical between all 3 tires. At 45PSI all tires will carry 1000kg. The question still unanswered is what is the capacity at 25PSI. I have posed this final question to BFG and see what they come back with.

At 25PSI, speed recommendation is to limit to 40klm. At 45psi you can run at higher than 40kmhr.

Anyway, its done, I am still happy with the selection to a degree, the tread pattern is a lot more 'blocky' than the AT, which will probably give it a wider all round use.

Ultimately this reinforces the use of the 121 rated tires as viable long term lower pressure units. I am unlikely to see the benefit of the HD due to having no need to run at 80psi.

Been like pulling teeth out of an oyster to get this, frustrating but there you have it.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (19th July 2024), mudnut (20th July 2024), Plasnart (19th July 2024), Touses (20th July 2024)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12