PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy first Patrol

maulbeagle
9th May 2023, 04:35 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking at buying my first Patrol (located in Perth, Western Australia), probably a GU ZD30 as I don't think I can afford a 4.2.
I heard there were issues pre-2005 with the ZD30, and am looking for advice on what to look out for when buying.
Is there a thread/sub-forum dedicated to this already ?

Thanks in advance !
Paul

BillsGU
9th May 2023, 05:08 PM
My advice would be - buy a common rail if you can afford it. From experience - having a number of DIs - yep, they can have BIG issues. The CRs seem a lot more reliable.

maulbeagle
9th May 2023, 08:13 PM
Thanks, how do I determine which ones are CR ? Does the engine name/designation change ?

Bidja
9th May 2023, 11:25 PM
CRD were introduced 2007. Google will assist.

BigRAWesty
10th May 2023, 08:07 AM
Imo look for a CRD 3.0ltr.
But even still they can have issues.
Mine had just over 110 thou on it and did the head gasket.
It was ex CFA so probably no love and short runs for the first 60 thou.
But.. I do regret selling it. It was a great car.
Highly recommend a tillix valve to control boost.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Dhuck
10th May 2023, 10:30 PM
Welcome to the forum mate.

sonerson83
16th May 2023, 12:25 PM
What's your budget? I'm considering selling my '03 TB48 auto/tiptronic soon.

mihit
16th May 2023, 03:39 PM
Not sure if you're still on the forum or not... and I don't know much about these engines first hand, so take it with a grain of salt.
"common rail" IPs run pressures 4-6 times higher than good ol' fashioned injectors, and if there's a good reason for that I'm sure I don't know.
It also seems to add another system/point of failure (injector solenoids/computer? i guess)

the OG ZDs suffered a lack of oil capacity/level leading to the "hand grenade" reputation. With apropriate "overfilling", temperature monitoring and maintenance intervals, there's nothing wrong with the actual engines
(except that they're missing 1.2litres of displacement and two cylinders :p )