PDA

View Full Version : which clutch

grimace
11th April 2011, 10:16 PM
g'day people its the annoying new bloke again, my gu dx 3.0 commonrail needs a replacement clutch and my question is would it be better to stick with the dual mass setup or go down the solid flywheel path and go excedy safari?

big_fletch
11th April 2011, 10:28 PM
Howdy mate, I have been having the same toss up with my 3.0..
After doing some research I will eventually be going the solid flywheel and a 4terrain clutch..
Most people say that You will get a little more noise through the driveline and the clutch will bit a lot more aggressive on the release however I have driven a 3.0 with solid flywheel and the difference was in my eyes nothing worth worrying about..
Some people however find the noise and pedal feel annoying..
That's my thoughts mate, like I said I will be going with solid flywheel.. Hope this helps in some way mate.. Let us know how you go

Fletcha

grimace
11th April 2011, 11:14 PM
thanks for the reply champ, i was told a simular thing about noise and even vibration. a few years ago i put a solid in my 2.8 td gu and didn't notice any extra noise or vibrations so i think i will go with the solid as it is about a grand cheaper than the dual mass and the ironic thing was the little blokes were quoting more than going to nissan, had to laugh...

big_fletch
11th April 2011, 11:18 PM
Haha yer ill say mate, glad could be of some help..
Let us know how ya go mate, would be interested to know thoughts after you have it done..

Fletcha

grimace
11th April 2011, 11:25 PM
cheers man, got another one for ya. will a 2" lift be big enough to chuck a set of 305 mickey thompson claws? i picked em up off ebay for $900 bucks on 100 series wide wheels and would you believe they have only got less than a 1000ks on em.

YNOT
12th April 2011, 06:02 AM
If they are 305/70R16 then thay are the same diameter as 285/75R16 (both 33" diameter) so should fit OK with a 2" lift. I say 'should' because some people have had trouble with 33's scrubbing on their bullbars with 2" lift.

Tony

timbar
12th April 2011, 07:38 PM
my 4Terain clutch lasted less than 12mths i was not imprssed yet my PBR has lasted 4years and is still strong

big_fletch
12th April 2011, 08:11 PM
I haven't heard of many problems with the 4terrain clutch, maybe a faulty unit? Will do some more investigating when it comes time to buy one me thinks lol..

timbar
12th April 2011, 08:25 PM
yeah i hope it was a faulty one because i got such agood report on the 4terrain clutch and i was so let down by it i was not a happy camper

grimace
12th April 2011, 08:27 PM
no worries mate can do...

grimace
12th April 2011, 08:33 PM
thanks mate thats good to know, it currently runs 235/80r16 on a -13 offset because they were the tyres that it came with. it also had the split rims but i went for some KING wheels and so far so good. the mickey Ts are just for the hard stuff.