PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

dom14
8th June 2015, 11:54 PM
Hi Guys,
I've been wondering about this thing for a while.
I have no idea what it does and I'm dying to find out.
There's nothing going in or out of it as far as I can see.
It looks like a sealed container.
The two rivets holding it to the body aren't carrying anything into it or out of it.
What is this?
Thanks

Avo
9th June 2015, 12:38 AM
have you tried putting the part number on a Nissan part website?might give you the answer

dom14
9th June 2015, 12:01 PM
This is the part number I got from the unit.

6482601J00

It hasn't yielded any results in part websites so far. I'm still trying.

nissannewby
9th June 2015, 12:14 PM
Parts website lists it as a cover.

dom14
9th June 2015, 12:58 PM
Parts website lists it as a cover.

Which parts website?

nissannewby
9th June 2015, 01:27 PM
Partsouq.com

$7.37us if you want a new one lol

dom14
9th June 2015, 02:22 PM
Partsouq.com

$7.37us if you want a new one lol

Nah. :D
I'm just friggin curious to find out whether it has any purpose or whether it's an old bomb planted for the previous owner, etc. :D

I reckon it's still some mystery bit. "cover" doesn't make any sense to me, 'cos there isn't more detail in the website about what kinda cover it is.

I would love to hear from all you guys with GQs. I have a gut feeling that I can't be the only one with this thing attached above the wheel.

doka404
9th June 2015, 02:27 PM
I got - Cover Canister Drain???

so it suggests it is a cover for the drain on the : CHARCOAL VAPOR CANISTER FILTER???

dom14
9th June 2015, 02:56 PM
I got - Cover Canister Drain???

so it suggests it is a cover for the drain on the : CHARCOAL VAPOR CANISTER FILTER???

Well.....it's a plastic thing. Not that strong from the feel and touch. I doubt it can withstand any heat.

It apparently has a small hole at the bottom. I need to check whether it's a totally seal container or that hole is an opening.

Where did you get the idea? Any web links?

doka404
9th June 2015, 02:59 PM
Well.....it's a plastic thing. Not that strong from the feel and touch. I doubt it can withstand any heat.

It apparently has a small hole at the bottom. I need to check whether it's a totally seal container or that hole is an opening.

Maybe its : "The part that the blokes put on at the factory for a laugh, knowing everyone will wonder what the hell it is for" ;)

4bye4
9th June 2015, 03:52 PM
Must be important - Nissan don't put anything on in the factory unless they have to - light light globes in the rear. LOL

dom14
9th June 2015, 05:24 PM
I'm pretty surprised no one knows for sure what it is. I was thinking pretty much all the RB30s out there have it, unless it's been removed.

If it's factory it must be important. I reckon it's factory, there are NO signs of it as a later addition.

billyj
9th June 2015, 05:28 PM
it just covers the drain in the bottom of the charcoal canister, in the unlikely event any fuel makes it to the charcoal canister it will drain out hte bottom of that part

doka404
9th June 2015, 05:39 PM
I found this :

http://nissan-europe.epcdata.ru/patrol/y60/2911-tb42e/body_front_roof_and_floor/640/64826/

Which suggests its a "Cover-Canister Drain"

Then checked the Diagram which seems to have part "14952 Bracket Canister" above it. Then just kept cross referencing parts..may or may not be right. What's directly above it on the inside of the engine bay? Anything?

dom14
9th June 2015, 08:54 PM
I found this :

http://nissan-europe.epcdata.ru/patrol/y60/2911-tb42e/body_front_roof_and_floor/640/64826/

Which suggests its a "Cover-Canister Drain"

Then checked the Diagram which seems to have part "14952 Bracket Canister" above it. Then just kept cross referencing parts..may or may not be right. What's directly above it on the inside of the engine bay? Anything?

Yes, that's a very sensible question mate.
I have been too busy with fixing other stuff in the car, I haven't had a very closer look to see if there's anything connected to it from inside.
From memory, when I checked it last time, I couldn't.
But, I need to have a closer inspection.
I'm just gonna go and have good look and get back here soon.

BTW, I added the word "NO" to my previous post. It would have confused everybody.
I think either I'm getting old sooner than I thought or I've been too tired. I've been missing words like "is, are, no, etc etc" between words of a sentence, making my sentences gobbledygook. :D

dom14
9th June 2015, 10:25 PM
I got few pictures of what directly above the 'mystery' unit.
I think I'm wrong about it not connecting to anything. It apparently does.
I'm not sure about the function of this unit, but I can see it's connected to vacuum lines.

BTW guys, don't think I'm crazy to have those wires running around the engine bay.
They are not connected to anything. I keep them in case I need them in the future for diagnosing or fixing wiring problems.
It's a left over from a diagnostic job on the air conditioning unit last year. I left the wires just in case I need them for
something else in the future.

So, I'm wondering, what does this canister unit do?

It's obviously connected to vacuum lines.

dom14
9th June 2015, 10:30 PM
it just covers the drain in the bottom of the charcoal canister, in the unlikely event any fuel makes it to the charcoal canister it will drain out hte bottom of that part

Ok, I wish I understand what you meant, mate. What does the charcoal canister do?
Should I google it? Or can you give me a short version?

Thanks

billyj
9th June 2015, 11:28 PM
the charcoal canister is what the fuel tank breathes through, the rough idea is that the charcoal will absorb the vapours from the tank and its also plumbed into your intake allowing the vapours to be burnt when the engine is running. its an emmisions thing

if you remove the canister you will see a little tube sticking out that goes down into that cover you were asking about

billyj
9th June 2015, 11:31 PM
I got few pictures of what directly above the 'mystery' unit.
I think I'm wrong about it not connecting to anything. It apparently does.
I'm not sure about the function of this unit, but I can see it's connected to vacuum lines.

BTW guys, don't think I'm crazy to have those wires running around the engine bay.
They are not connected to anything. I keep them in case I need them in the future for diagnosing or fixing wiring problems.
It's a left over from a diagnostic job on the air conditioning unit last year. I left the wires just in case I need them for
something else in the future.

So, I'm wondering, what does this canister unit do?

It's obviously connected to vacuum lines.

ok so using the middle pic. hose on left is fuel tank breather into charcoal canister, middle hose is a vac line which controls the valve at the top of the canister(allows the engine to ingest and burn any built up vapour in canister) and the hose on the right is charcoal canister to inlet manifold

dom14
10th June 2015, 12:32 AM
the charcoal canister is what the fuel tank breathes through, the rough idea is that the charcoal will absorb the vapours from the tank and its also plumbed into your intake allowing the vapours to be burnt when the engine is running. its an emmisions thing

if you remove the canister you will see a little tube sticking out that goes down into that cover you were asking about

Yeah mate. Now I understand. I obviously need to read more about these things in the Patrol manual.
I asked a pro mechanic few years ago and he didn't know and told me not to worry about it. Then I started getting into fixing the car myself when one day he couldn't help me due to being busy at that time. Ever since, I've been fixing most of the stuff and learning something new every single day.
It has saved my life couple of occasions. Nothing's more important than knowing the stuff about your car when you go for long trips.
Thanx mate.

dom14
10th June 2015, 12:36 AM
BTW, my old shrink said that my recent problem of missing words in written sentences isn't a bad thing. Apparently it happens to him too. ;)

dom14
10th June 2015, 12:40 AM
I"m glad it's not a left over piece from a old time bomb. I was anxiously wondering whether it is a wireless transmitter to activate the bomb. :bananadancing:

dom14
10th June 2015, 12:19 PM

Hi Billyj, I'm just wondering mate, do I need to service the charcoal fuel vapour canister?
For example do I need to unclog it?
The "vacuum advance" at when cold start doesn't seem to be working.
Engine is idling at around 500-600 rpm or so.
I'm wondering whether a vacuum leak from the canister is causing this.
For example, I'm guessing there's a valve somewhere in the canister to allows the vapours to get into the inlet manifold, but not
the other way around.
Can that valve be faulty or clogged up from years of petrol fume junk?

billyj
10th June 2015, 09:45 PM
shouldnt need any service. on my tb42e the valve is controlled by an electric solenoid at the engine

dom14
10th June 2015, 10:02 PM
shouldnt need any service. on my tb42e the valve is controlled by an electric solenoid at the engine

Ok, cool. I think mine is the same.
How about the canister itself?
Even if it doesn't to the job it suppose to do due to clogging, it shouldn't affect the vacuum advance system, should it?

billyj
10th June 2015, 10:22 PM
nah shouldnt affect it

dom14
10th June 2015, 11:42 PM
nah shouldnt affect it

Cool!. I won't be fiddling with the charcoal canister then. I'm happy to leave it alone, where it is, as it is. :D

dom14
11th June 2015, 09:01 PM
nah shouldnt affect it

Hi Billyj,
Can you please have a look at this thread and post an opinion or some tips mate?

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?33784-Vacuum-leak-test-results-on-GQ-RB30-Patrol&p=609730#post609730

Thanx

593Patrol
18th November 2020, 08:14 AM
If the carbon canister isn’t connected to the vacuum, can that have a negative effect on emissions?

threedogs
21st November 2020, 02:21 PM
Cool!. I won't be fiddling with the charcoal canister then. I'm happy to leave it alone, where it is, as it is. :D

Yo DOM14 , good to see you grabbing the spanners and
doing stuff your self, very rewarding IMHO TD