PDA

View Full Version : Are they just upselling.

krbrooking
6th November 2014, 02:29 PM
Went to get my crummy door's wheel alignment done today and they said I would be wasting my money as the back tyres are too bald from the camber in the rear. They tried to sell me two new tyres for an extra $300 fitted and balanced. I do admit they are reasonably bald but I would have thought the alignment would help that.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

macca
6th November 2014, 03:22 PM
Why are you driving around on bald tyres?

Your nuts to take a risk yourself, but what if you hurt someone else in an accident?

Winnie
6th November 2014, 03:28 PM
A wheel alignment is not going to make the tyres less bald?

Avo
6th November 2014, 03:57 PM
I don't understand how rear tyres can affect the front wheel alignment....

krbrooking
6th November 2014, 04:48 PM
Ok maybe I need to clarify a bit. Firstly my tyres aren't bald they are slightly bald on the outside of the tread due to the angle of the camber on the back axle ( the crummy doors are really bad). It can be adjusted similar to tie rods to adjust the front. I am not trying to make my tyres " less bald" but would like to prolong the life of the tyres by getting s wheel alignment back and front to correct this issue.
The rear tyres can affect how the car handles/ steers if they are at different angles and one is tracking in more than the other. It will give a crabbing affect. I jus wanted to know if they were trying to get me to buy new tyres for no reason.
I could also be wrong in my understanding as well.

Clunk
6th November 2014, 05:10 PM
I would say not trying to up sell, just stating that your rear camber need adjusting to stop your tyres wearing unevenly. I guess depending on how badly worn the outside of your rear tyres are will constitute the need for new rear tyres

4bye4
6th November 2014, 05:19 PM
It may be that they are telling you that an alignment will not help and you need new tyres. I get this sort of thing occasionaly where a customer wants say a new gas fitting in the end of his hose. I have to explaine that a new fitting will not crimp onto his worn hose and there is a danger thet the new fitting will leak or fail. If he will not buy a new hose I will not change the fitting as if it fails I may be held responsible. Sometimes I am accused of upselling or being unhelpful. Sometimes other things too but that a hole new thread. :biggrin:

mudski
6th November 2014, 05:40 PM
Independent rear suspension on these cars will wear out the tyres. Especially if they are lowered and the camber has not been adjusted accordingly. They need to be rotated more often to even out the wear process. We have a Crumpydore and rotate every 10thou or so.

nissannewby
6th November 2014, 05:45 PM
I was also under the assumption that if any part of your tyre is bald or below the indicators then it is illegal and needs to be replaced......

macca86
6th November 2014, 05:50 PM
I put in a camber kit in my old irs commodore they were like 700 bucks installed and almost got the tyres flat again. Might be worth doing that and new tyres. Got heaps more life from the tyres after

krbrooking
6th November 2014, 06:01 PM
Thanks Ppl

Yeh the tyres were slightly like this when I bought it a few months ago and I was hoping to get past Xmas but by the looks of things I will have to get them soon, they are still above the wear marker but not by much on the outside but as you move in they are still good which is frustrating, I will have to rotate more often by the sounds of it. Hopefully there is still plenty of adjustment in the camber as I do not want to pay for the camber kit now, I thought you only really needed them if the car was lowered. Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

happygu
6th November 2014, 06:08 PM
KR,

Sounds like you have a VS or early VT, where Holden did the cheap arse IRS. It is much better with the newer models....
Once a tyre starts wearing unevenly on one of those, it is really hard to stop without drastic action like rotating the tyre on the rim or adding the camber kits. There is just too much camber , especially if you carry any load, and you cant put them on the front either, as the front naturally runs a little negative camber too for good corner grip.

Gone are the days where you could just whack them on the opposite corner on the rear beam axle and flatten them out again ......

krbrooking
6th November 2014, 07:02 PM
It's actually a VE so hopefully it can be corrected and that is what I was aiming for like you said get the alignment done, rotate, bobs your uncle but obviously not anymore and no I don't carry any load as well.

Irish
6th November 2014, 07:18 PM
A wheel alignment is not going to make the tyres less bald?

He's getting it done at the Advanced Hair Studio.

krbrooking
6th November 2014, 09:12 PM
That's gold.

sooty_10
7th November 2014, 07:53 AM
KR,

Sounds like you have a VS or early VT, where Holden did the cheap arse IRS. It is much better with the newer models....
Once a tyre starts wearing unevenly on one of those, it is really hard to stop without drastic action like rotating the tyre on the rim or adding the camber kits. There is just too much camber , especially if you carry any load, and you cant put them on the front either, as the front naturally runs a little negative camber too for good corner grip.

Gone are the days where you could just whack them on the opposite corner on the rear beam axle and flatten them out again ......

I have a VT Wagon and yeah it's bad for scrubbing out the inside edge of the tyres. They look great but run your hand along the edge you can't see and it oculd be as smooth as a babies bottom. To fix it the only way is spending coin on the camber kit like macca86 said.

I put in a camber kit in my old irs commodore they were like 700 bucks installed and almost got the tyres flat again. Might be worth doing that and new tyres. Got heaps more life from the tyres after

Alitis007
7th November 2014, 01:21 PM
Unfortunately Kev once a tyre starrs wearing un evenly you can can't stop its wear pattern, re adjusting the alignment may help slow the effects of a wear pattern but wont stop it and as Mat saideven if a small section of a tyre is pats its wear indicators the whole thing is un roadworthy. As far as I'm aware the ve's have a fair bit of adjustment In them so adjusting it shouldn't be a problem and a good aligner will compensate road camber so you don't wear the drivers rear tyre more as it tucks in to try and level your ride, also get the car aligned with 3/4 of a tank of petrol that way the weight will be compensated.

Can you get a print out of the settings as they are aswell mate and post them up so I can have a look at them ??

krbrooking
7th November 2014, 04:48 PM
Thanks for the assistance everyone.

I will get the printout and post it up once I have got it done prob in the next week or so, I now have to save for the tyres.

krbrooking
25th November 2014, 06:34 PM
Have not yet been able to get some new tyres as yet so have not yet done the alignment. Will hopefully get into it in the next week or so and will post the print out here.

krbrooking
5th December 2014, 04:50 PM
Here you go George and for the others that are interested. 52378 52379 Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

krbrooking
6th December 2014, 03:58 PM
Bump for George.