PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded head

Rongq
7th March 2014, 11:45 AM
Hi all, Ive had my 98' GQ since new and love it, 2.8 turbo its never let me down until now so I have a couple questions, My coolant reservoir looks like some has filled it full of oil rather than coolant so pretty obvious head gasket ( I wish ) but most probably done the head. My next concern is that I also have oil dripping out of the turbo so does that mean a new one of those also. If my worst fears are coming true does anyone have any suggestions on the best places and costs to get a new head and turbo in the Melbourne area. Thanks in advance.

threedogs
7th March 2014, 12:18 PM
what side of town are you on??

rkinsey
7th March 2014, 12:37 PM
G'day Ron.

Head is stuffed im sorry to say.

Dont just get the head replaced. Have the whole thing checked out. I have the 1997 RD28T (very little differences between the two) and spent $3800.00 replacing the head and water pump, radiator and a few other bits and pieces. I didnt have the block looked at now two years down the track I am up for a complete motor rebuild (long story so wont bore you with it)

Suffice to say I should of been more dilligent and paid more attention to detail.

Doing it properly this time.

Cheers,

Rob

79raven
8th March 2014, 09:11 PM
Yeah look mate, you kinda got 2 options I reckon, fix the job or sell the car. Getting the head done no matter whats not going to be cheap. Maybe a parts car and grab a loan. Doing it yourself is always an option but you will find the costs and the effort/expertise + also a check/skim/bath for the head once its off wont be cheap but essential. Even an engine swap could be an option but you dont know with a secondhand engine what will happen around the corner. Tough one, I had an Ef Fairmont i6 and did the head, radiator etc through mates ( add a Ticky shaved head and mild cam to) and it still set me back $2000. The Patrol will be way more expensive, its a 4x4 and shits always expensive and " specialized". I have a mate down your way. His name is Ranga and he is a qualified diesel mechanic. He might do it for you from home? If you want Ill ask him for you. Apart from that check places for engine swaps ( add turbo) with the best warranty. Ebay I thinks got one down your way from memory. Might be time for a chevy 8 diesel?