PDA

View Full Version : Jumper cables wrong way

AB
5th February 2013, 10:05 AM
No it wasn't me...lol

I'm stuck at hospital all day and was outside watching people jump start a car. Nothing was happening for 10 minutes so asked if they needed help.

My god, they had the cables around the wrong way. Fuseable link blew so I tried to bend it back, lights work but no joy. I think they might of completely ruined their car.

Lonicus
5th February 2013, 10:09 AM
Fess up. It was a cuiser and you put them on backwards didn't you :)

AB
5th February 2013, 10:16 AM
They had it on the wrong way for a solid 10minutes. Surprised the battery didn't explode!

nissannewby
5th February 2013, 10:22 AM
Admit it AB it was you who hooked them up the wrong way.......

AB
5th February 2013, 10:24 AM
I've done some silly things in my life but that's one thing I double check...lol

taslucas
5th February 2013, 10:29 AM
I've done some silly things in my life but that's one thing I double check...lol

Yeah but you waited ten minutes to double check this time! Haha

FanTapstic!

nissannewby
5th February 2013, 10:33 AM
I have helped some ladies out one time, they kept hooking them up and it wasnt helping watch them a couple times disconnect and reconnect so went over and lo and behold they were around the wrong way, grabbed the clamp and she was nice and warm lol. They were also very lucky nothing went pear shaped. There car still started though.

Maxhead
5th February 2013, 11:09 AM
Don't they say opposites attract, you know red to black and + to -...LOL

Good work Andy, hopefully your actions will save someone some trouble...;)

threedogs
5th February 2013, 11:48 AM
When I purchased Nev the Nissan there was a huge burn mark on Grill and lower panel.
Seems the chick shorted out the jumper leads and fried them on the spot,

the evil twin
5th February 2013, 01:10 PM
ROFL... it happens and I reckon it happens a lot.

Waaay back when...
I was given the tip to lightly tap the -ve or +ve (as there were a fair few +ve earth still around in them thar days) clamp of the last connection you are making on the block/head/whatever IE anything other than a battery terminal.

If the polarities were cocked up then the large rrse puckering, ciggy dropping, expletive producing arc is only momentary and also a good distance from the battery and any venting hydrogen gas.

The look on the perps face is still hilariously funny tho

It's a habit I have never lost and still do it to this day even if I am absolutely certain the polarities are correct because there are possible battery faults that will still produce a large arc even when the leads are right.

rusty_nail
5th February 2013, 01:38 PM
wait what? theres a wrong way? bad luck hey! at least you offered help AB to put em outta their misery lol

fracster
5th February 2013, 02:25 PM
Mate of mine fried his wifes Peugeot doing exactly this last year, car was a write,it blew the ecu,brains and pretty much all the other electrics.

I do remind him at every single,available opportunity.................:D

Woof
6th February 2013, 01:21 AM

Waaay back when...
I was given the tip to lightly tap the -ve or +ve (as there were a fair few +ve earth still around in them thar days) clamp of the last connection you are making on the block/head/whatever IE anything other than a battery terminal.

If the polarities were cocked up then the large rrse puckering, ciggy dropping, expletive producing arc is only momentary and also a good distance from the battery and any venting hydrogen gas.

It's a habit I have never lost and still do it to this day even if I am absolutely certain the polarities are correct because there are possible battery faults that will still produce a large arc even when the leads are right.
They had batteries on the horse and sulky ET?????????..............oh yeah for the lights of course, silly me.......LMAO

P4trol
6th February 2013, 06:47 AM
How many patrols have a melt mark on the dipstick where it has contacted the +ve battery terminal?

Bloodyaussie
6th February 2013, 09:24 AM
My mums ex husband put the jumper cables on the wrong terminals and I went to put my side on and zappo...... when I looked round and saw what he had done I asked why he F%ŁKING hell did that and he said it does not matter as long as the same ones are put on the same terminals........

I dropped the cables on the ground and went inside...dumb ass!!!!!

BigRAWesty
6th February 2013, 09:49 AM
They had batteries on the horse and sulky ET?????????..............oh yeah for the lights of course, silly me.......LMAO

Those clay pot ones i think...

My mums ex husband put the jumper cables on the wrong terminals and I went to put my side on and zappo...... when I looked round and saw what he had done I asked why he F%£KING hell did that and he said it does not matter as long as the same ones are put on the same terminals........

I dropped the cables on the ground and went inside...dumb ass!!!!!

Well he is technically right you know...:D

I had a little miss hap / brain fart one arvo, but not with a car battery...
Mine was a 5a/h 26v rc heli battery which I was changing the leads on...

Cut threw both at once with side cutters...:cool:

Sparkies sparkies everywhere...

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

the evil twin
6th February 2013, 10:44 AM

Those clay pot ones i think...

:hpfredgeorge1:

Isn't that what we are talking about... if you keep the clay dry and freshen up the citrus acid level in the electrolyte 10 of them will operate the NADS on the Sulky no worries.

You guys do have NADS for your turbos don't you? The one where you run the wires from the battery thru a momentary switch to the horses 'nads. Press the switch and, voila, turbo boosted Sulky

If you haven't and decide to fit a NADS remember to never sit directly behind the horse in case of boost spikes.
If the spike is powerful enough to crack the waste gate the results are not pretty :jawdrop:

nickpeacock36
6th February 2013, 11:03 AM
I will fess up as i once did it. It was my mums car, a Fiat 126 and it needed a new loom fitted.

choppie
7th February 2013, 04:57 PM

Waaay back when...

X2 on that T E T

Cuppa
7th February 2013, 05:13 PM
How many patrols have a melt mark on the dipstick where it has contacted the +ve battery terminal?

Mine didn't when I got it .........but it does now. :)

nickpeacock36
7th February 2013, 11:44 PM
Im on my 2nd dipstick as i caught the battery a couple of times. Too many confessions and all in one thread;-)

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk 2