PDA

View Full Version : What"s this please

threedogs
3rd February 2013, 03:54 PM
Hi all , to coin a phase I've been picking.
Picked up some old tools, kero stoves , pressed steel bottles, Heaps of cool stuff.
anyway I have no idea what this is, the centre "COG" is off set to the rest.
Thinking maybe clock making ???? all ideas would be great
Made of brass and about 75mm long. Also picked up a brand new file {huge}
Dated 1850, good pick I'm stoked

GQPorkroll
3rd February 2013, 03:56 PM
Stuffs me, must be that thing everyone's talking about!

mudnut
3rd February 2013, 04:29 PM
Hi all , to coin a phase I've been picking.
Picked up some old tools, kero stoves , pressed steel bottles, Heaps of cool stuff.
anyway I have no idea what this is, the centre "COG" is off set to the rest.
Thinking maybe clock making ???? all ideas would be great
Made of brass and about 75mm long. Also picked up a brand new file {huge}
Dated 1850, good pick I'm stoked

G,day Threedogs,
The bracket end looks as if it attaches to an ancient lathe or wood turning tool, so the brass cogs may create a pattern on rotating wood.

threedogs
3rd February 2013, 04:44 PM
Like a knurling tool you think,?? I have no idea but the centre cog/wheel spins seperate to others.
Maybe the Ferret might know what it is

mudnut
3rd February 2013, 04:51 PM
This is just like "Collectors" on the ABC. It could be a brass knukle for a bad ass elephant.

MudRunnerTD
3rd February 2013, 04:55 PM
It's a......

It's a.......

It's a........

Doooova lackey !!!!

That's all I got sorry :(

Airstrike
3rd February 2013, 04:57 PM
The key to Bigrig's Chastity belt

wildgu6
3rd February 2013, 05:37 PM
Looks like one of them thingys that opens Darwin stubbies

TAPPN OUT

the godfather
3rd February 2013, 05:45 PM
Looks a little like a pedal/gear mechanism off a really really old sowing machine.

threedogs
3rd February 2013, 05:47 PM
Can rule that out as I'm a sewing machine mechanic
Amongst other things

BigRAWesty
3rd February 2013, 06:32 PM
It's a thingy.. yep. A thingy.. made way back when, you used the thingy on that thing to do that stuff.. very useful..:what:

Sorry, got me beat

Kallen Westbrook
Owner of
Westy's Accessories (http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?15134-Westy-s-Accessories.-A-small-back-yard-builder.)

krbrooking
3rd February 2013, 07:14 PM
It's got a almost key look to it. How strong would it be being brass and did you say the center cog is off set and spins separately to the others, if so does it it just spin as if on a bearing or does it stay on the same off set side while spinning. I think you could be right bout the clock thing might be some sort of winding key to set the time, also are all the diameters the same size.

P.S could also be something you dreampt up from the meds.( the key to the future).

the ferret
3rd February 2013, 07:43 PM
Like a knurling tool you think,?? I have no idea but the centre cog/wheel spins seperate to others.
Maybe the Ferret might know what it is

Sorry TD, NFI, but I'm work'n on it!!, something to do with rope making I would guess!!
Cheers, the ferret.

krbrooking
3rd February 2013, 08:03 PM
Be interesting to find out what it is the rope thing also sounds pretty close.

the ferret
3rd February 2013, 08:15 PM
I've been Googling like there is no tomorrow, but nope, noth'n, maybe it's a pie crust crimper, not woodwork as it's brass, must be slow moving if at all, turns clockwise.
Thanks for noth'n TD, I wont sleep till I can work it out!!
Cheers, the ferret

krbrooking
3rd February 2013, 08:18 PM
Im with you ferret ant find anything thats why I am leaning more towards the meds. LOL.....

Well thats what I will try and tell myself to get to sleep.

the ferret
3rd February 2013, 08:21 PM
Yep, presto, it's a Wigwam fer a Gooses Bridle, you use them with a Ujarkapivy.
Cheers, the ferret

Lonicus
3rd February 2013, 08:23 PM
Splicing tool for rope maybe?

Woof
3rd February 2013, 09:42 PM
Come on, you OLD blokes must be able to solve it...

Alitis007
3rd February 2013, 10:07 PM
Looks like a connecting rod of some sort, on the left those cogs would connect to bigger or smaller ones and the 3 claw things on the right would lock into something. It could be from a safe door from a bank ???

ova50
3rd February 2013, 10:22 PM
Come on, you OLD blokes must be able to solve it...

Old blokes ha. Guys we need to solve this. THINK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Dogman, you may have supplied a clue in your above post.
will give you a second to see what you wrote.

waiting waiting.

"Old Guys" is the clue, we need a "real old guy" someone who has worked in various trades, and still breathes. (not me)

Been having a good look at this. A couple of things that strike me.
The first is its design. Im going to discount it being a tool.
Being its made from brass, and its size, it has not been designed for a heavy application.
6 gears and all appear to be the same size and a 45deg cut on the gears. This would most likely discount a chain or belt drive was used with this item. (but I dont discount it completely)
The 3 claws, possibly used as a way of holding or locking this item. Or something mounted on the item that can be rotated.
The ring, most likely not used for anything except to give it some strength, if something is mounted to the claws, if so what ever mounts to this is most likely the heavier part. It is possible that the ring could also act to help with balance as well as strength.
So what do I have, this is a part of something else not to large, an item that is no bigger than maybe a foot or 18 inches max. ( it could be a part of a part that connects to a larger part, I do doubt this)
The six gears must mesh with the other six, and if they are the same size the others may well be too. This would give it some extra strength or reliability, yet the gears are off centre. If it alone, was used to turn something, the other part would most likely be spring loaded or at the least be able to slide. If not, this part would change its position and would rotate, and possibly slide what ever was attached to the 3 claws.

Does this item cause something to move side ways (horizontal) or does it move something up & down (vertical).

I have probably lost the plot. but for some stupid reasoning I am leaning towards a part from some type of measuring or aligning device.
Crazy

dads tractor
3rd February 2013, 10:44 PM
Ronnie Bigg's playpen toy ???????????????????????????

TPC
3rd February 2013, 11:03 PM
Old blokes ha. Guys we need to solve this. THINK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Dogman, you may have supplied a clue in your above post.
will give you a second to see what you wrote.

waiting waiting.

"Old Guys" is the clue, we need a "real old guy" someone who has worked in various trades, and still breathes.

ova50, if you know what it is you have to let us know, I cant go to bed know until I know.

ova50
3rd February 2013, 11:38 PM
ova50, if you know what it is you have to let us know, I cant go to bed know until I know.

Scouts honour. I havent a clue what it is, Im like you, its got me stuffed. Hell, Ive even enlarged the pic.
All I am trying to do is to break it down by attempting to discount what it isnt. I probably would have been better off taking a wild guess (LOL)
Im starting to wonder if TD posted this to keep us up all night.

When reading my previous post I had to edit it about 4 times. I kept breaking it down more.
I am probably no where near what it is, but trying to solve it has been good for the head.

ova50
4th February 2013, 01:10 AM
Went to bed and this is getting the better of me, so up I am to add this.
The gears, 45deg cut, possibly the there are no gears that drive or are driven by this item.
It may be just one gear, if that is the case then most likely this other gear may be a single spiral gear. that enables it to mesh better with the 45deg gears.
If this is the case, then its association with accuracy could be involved in some way.
Night all, hope someone can identify this, I gotta get some sleep.

threedogs
4th February 2013, 06:48 AM
The end opposite the knurled cogs holds something round I presume.
Sorry but no clues from other items in the pick. I'll put different angle
pics up soon. centre cog is concentric.
As a sewing machine mechanic we had tools similar for changing
stitch and feed programmes in overlockers. I still have every tool I've ever bought
this is not one. turn this up side down you'll see it holds a 10c piece size disc.
trying to bluetooth some pics, but it doesn't want to play Ggggrrrr

Lonicus
4th February 2013, 08:09 AM
The boss just had a look and she thinks possibly something to do with heavy horse tack, eg Clydesdales, in a team.

threedogs
4th February 2013, 08:34 AM
Nah too small, it could be nickel plated, but wouldn't think horse related

Lonicus
4th February 2013, 08:41 AM
is that a 10c piece?

threedogs
4th February 2013, 08:43 AM
Yeah sorry bluetooth playing up ,10c piece doesn't fit.
Only the centre "cog" is off set and rotates See pic
Spooky you say Clydesdale horses as my BFF who picked
up all this gear, his brother breeds Clydesdales, but this item
is not his.

taslucas
4th February 2013, 09:27 AM
Hey threedogs, firstly I have no idea! Secondly, have you ever seen the tv show called collectors? It's made in Tassie and is a show all about peoples collections of various things. But every week they have a mystery item that is sent in by a viewer and they get the panel of experts to try figure out what it is. It's quite interesting, you should check it out or maybe send some photos of your unusual bits and pieces.
It's on ABC. I think you can watch old episodes on the ABCs "i view" page.

FanTapstic!

threedogs
4th February 2013, 10:09 AM
Hi Lucas Yeah big fan of that show. Might have to email them. Ever since I started "collecting"
I've made a few friends one is the Curator of the NGV. I've even sold stuff to Museums so the history
is not lost, that item was a dough making trough made from single lump of timber/tree trunk,its in the Beechworth Museum now.
Thanks again I'll do that now, TD

Mystery object and final show Sept 2011

threedogs
4th February 2013, 12:25 PM
bump,,,,,,,,,,,,What about a Key as in like when you clock in {old school}
you insert this, turn it, the offset cog means its yours
Boss then knows if you've done your "rounds"
Like a security guard Thingy, I got Nuttin.

It could be one of a pair encoded to set off a nuclear device
now I'm being stupid ..............again

macca
4th February 2013, 12:32 PM
A wall lamp??
MMM how about the round hole holding a vessel with oil which is lit. The 3 clamps at the end hold coloured glass???
The other end is fitted into a oval hole in a wood panel and twisted to lock into place.
Other than that I have no idea at all!!!!

taslucas
4th February 2013, 12:35 PM
Hmm maybe something off an industrial sewing loom.

FanTapstic!

threedogs
4th February 2013, 12:39 PM
Nah Lucas, Been in that game most of my life.
Does anyone know what they use when a Racing/homing
pigeon returns, this may be the key to record their time.
The offset cog so you can't fudge your times.
Not modern but Old school maybe 1950's even earlier

taslucas
4th February 2013, 12:47 PM
The end you put a coin in looks to be made to fit something. I wouldn't just look at the cog end.
One for the collector's show for sure

FanTapstic!

threedogs
4th February 2013, 12:58 PM
yeah it definetly holds something, I'm sticking to a key of some description
But for what
I have pre decimal coins here, but not sure if they fit, and if they do why??

taslucas
4th February 2013, 01:03 PM
Maybe the cog goes into a mechanism (like a key) but then you fit a handle to slots on the other end(coin end)

FanTapstic!

Alitis007
4th February 2013, 01:08 PM
If you wipe it clean where are the WEAR marks????

threedogs
4th February 2013, 01:24 PM
Good call Alitist does have 12 stamped on it.
definetly a key of some sort

Alitis007
4th February 2013, 01:29 PM
Like i said before it might have something to do with a safe door, this piece could be a wafer like in a ignition barrel!!

threedogs
4th February 2013, 01:38 PM
Smarty pantaloon, a key in other words, security key,possibly a safe key.
The shilling or half penny don't fit

Edit
Just googled images of safe keys Not even close
safe keys look like steering lock keys complex

Stupid me I have a mate thats a locksmith DOH
Sent him MSM, works now BHP Hastings

taslucas
4th February 2013, 01:45 PM
Is that slight wear in a circle on the "12" end?

FanTapstic!

threedogs
4th February 2013, 02:08 PM
Probably not I used a scourer to clean grime off. Definetly a Key
,probably security, but what. There is a pin on one cog, I'm with Alitis
A key but for what, My mate the locksmith has seen pic,just waiting
on his reply.

Alitis007
4th February 2013, 02:12 PM
Nah not the key bit, the bit that locates on the key inside the barrel. I'll see if i can find some to show you what i mean, but the gears on the other end would be connected to some sort of reduction gears so that when you rotate the knob it turns slowly ?? Maybe??

This is the a wafer from a normal car ignition lock barel25396
What i'm thinking thats for is like a safe like this, part of the locking mechanism in the door??25397

lorrieandjas
4th February 2013, 02:26 PM
How about an antique pepper grinder. I have seen some images similar where the "cogs" are actually slightly offset from an outer disc with teeth (look at a modern day pepper grinder as I'm not explaining very well). The other end attaches to a swing handle?

Jas

AB
4th February 2013, 02:34 PM
The number 12 end looks like it would be suited to cantilever off something like a top end of some narrow steel, etc. The cog side, who knows....If the 12 end does cantilever off a wall then the cogs could be to hang small chains, jewellery, etc...lol....Buggers me!

taslucas
4th February 2013, 02:39 PM
Yeah I'm not sold on the key idea. Is there anything to locate it in the key hole like a pin or shaft coming out of the cog. Also there doesn't appear to be any wear marks on the shaft from where it would turn?

FanTapstic!

AB
4th February 2013, 02:49 PM
It can't be a key because the cogs are not aligned and the smaller cog is towards the back of the handle meaning it will not work when you insert it.

threedogs
4th February 2013, 02:51 PM
I'm still going with security guard key, he walks around say a hospital and at a certain time he needs to "clock in" so he presents his key the offset cog is his signature.
Boss checks all boxes in the morning, Make sure guard has done his rounds. OR....... it's a key to "SET" something, as both ends do something...............but what aaaggggghhhhh
Works after you insert it, when you turn it the middle cog moves and locks in position.
There is small pin on upper cog ,this could help it locate and/or lock it as well???????????????????????
What about trains, something to do with the guardsman?????????????????????????????????

Alitis007
4th February 2013, 03:19 PM
I was looking at safe mechanisms and nothing, then at scales nope failed again i looked up other vintage bits and pieces and got bollocks again!! Maybe we need to think smaller, a bit off the norm, could it be a part from like a jewelry box with a ballerina that rotates when you open it and have to turn a crank handle to wind it up ?????

threedogs
4th February 2013, 03:27 PM
Music and jewelery boxes had spring steel springs and Clock /toy train style keys

taslucas
4th February 2013, 03:31 PM
All these ideas are based on inserting and turning it but the "12" end just doesn't look like a handle to me especially with the three claws that look like they hold something or lock into something(not a hand lol).

FanTapstic!

threedogs
4th February 2013, 03:38 PM
Maybe its a tool to adjust something ,the cog end gives you access then the 12 end removes or replaces a disc of some description. I got nuttin

It feelslike a key though.

taslucas
4th February 2013, 03:56 PM
That sounds a bit more on the money. They often used to make tools like that, with a double function. Could the claw end be used to clip on and lift something?

FanTapstic!

taslucas
4th February 2013, 03:57 PM
Maybe the middle cog is ment to be in line with the others but something inside has broken?

FanTapstic!

Alitis007
4th February 2013, 04:11 PM
I was saying IT rotates and its meant to be attached to something and that its too small to be a key

Alitis007
4th February 2013, 04:14 PM
Threedogs can you take a picture of the gear side because the shape of the gears look like the ones you find in a pendulum clock

threedogs
4th February 2013, 04:43 PM
Think my BFF has nailed it, Its a Key not to open but to wind up the Old style
PARKING METERS. sounds good to me,,,,,,,,,,,, everybody,,,,,,,,,,,, thoughts on that one.

mudnut
4th February 2013, 04:54 PM
Is it some kind of early staff key for a single line rail system ?

threedogs
4th February 2013, 05:01 PM
Well is it thats what we're trying to figure out.
Looks like a key , IMO it works like a key,
What trade or purpose I don't know
Centre cog moves so I'm thinking some kind of secure key device Doova

NissanGQ4.2
4th February 2013, 05:21 PM
I would say the claw end is a beer opener, the other end has your name in it to roll across some guys forehead in a pub fight :)

krbrooking
4th February 2013, 05:41 PM
Like I said last night I think it is some sort of adjustment key that is slotted into an old school grand father clock that you can manually adjust the time if need be. The other thing I thought it could be is like the top end if a pad lock the as you enter the combination it slide up and out the rest of the lock. I know my mum has and old kist/glory box that has a word combination on one side and number on the other side.

threedogs
4th February 2013, 06:24 PM
Dont you just move the hands on any clock to adjust the time ?

macca
4th February 2013, 06:50 PM
The close up of the knurled end looks more like a cam lock as in a tent pole, still reckon you put it in a hole twist it and it stays there.
The other end could hold glass with something on it, like a number possibly and it is backlit by an oil lamp or candle.
Have to be used inside so wind doesnt blow the flame out, hymn number in a church? Shaft number in a mine? Hall light in a ward of a hospital? Just some ideas.

krbrooking
4th February 2013, 06:53 PM
Not sure but it would be the same princaple as a watch I think you wind the little windy thing. That would explain the off set cog that is why I asked if they were different sizes one for the second hand, one for the minute hand and the other for the hour. But don't know it's got me baffled.