PDA

View Full Version : Snorkel head - Backwards or Forwards

Timbo
29th November 2010, 10:34 AM
Always fascinates me when I see guys with their snorkel head facing the other way. I realise that you may do this on a very dusty track when you're behind some cars in a convoy, but on the blacktop?

Bigrig
29th November 2010, 11:12 AM
Some people on LPG have to run it backwards if they haven't installed a balancing pipe - essentially, if they are driving along and (let's say) take the foot off the gas as they are going down hill, air is still being rammed into the engine at a higher rate with reduced LPG due to no throttle - basically causes the engine to snuff it .. no fun at 80 or 100 k's per hour!! That's only one reason, I'm sure a lot of people do it thinking it looks cool (as though they go through water that deep that the snorkel has to be backwards)!! lol - probably a few other reasons also ...

Timbo
29th November 2010, 11:56 AM
ah ok.. yeah i did hear something to do with LPG but I had forgotten what it was all about. Interesting!

It still kind of reminds me of wearing your hat backwards haha.

AB
29th November 2010, 12:31 PM
Here's some more info below about snorkels facing backwards and LPG, etc if anyone's interested....

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forums/showthread.php?105-Can-you-have-a-snorkle-on-gas

arinol
30th November 2010, 07:00 PM
i thought the reason people turn the snorkel head backwards was so that in heavy rain the snorkel doesn't work like a water funnel for the engine.

tariadamar
30th November 2010, 07:51 PM
i thought the reason people turn the snorkel head backwards was so that in heavy rain the snorkel doesn't work like a water funnel for the engine.

actually if u look at the back of your snorkel where the hose clamp tightens up at the back their is a small hole. this is just not adjustment room it is to let out the water from the rain as it gets driven in onto the back of the head and out that hole.

BillsGU
1st December 2010, 03:02 PM
We go up to the snow a fair bit and if it is snowing hard enough the snow starts to block the snorkel. I then usually pull over, loosen the screw and turn it around. Also when the hoppers are flying around here people tend to put a screen over the radiator and turn the snorkel around as well.