PDA

View Full Version : TB45 injectors - what size to replace with ------- Piigyback ECU- what type

JuzGU
20th June 2012, 05:50 PM
Hi All,
i am rebuilding my tb45 and putting a gt35 turbo on it, i want to change the injectors to keep up with the turbo but not 100% sure on what size and brand would be the best
The boost will be set at 8psi most of the time but i will be running an in cabin boost controller, so it could end up at 20psi sometimes
I have been looking at some 550cc ones . Is anyone using these and are they big enough?

Also i have been looking around for a piggyback ecu and have noticed they range from $500 to $3000,
i dont want to spend a fortune on the ecu, but dont want cheap junk that will cause a motor self destruct.
I will be getting the car tuned and dynoed once the build is complete
Can anyone suggest a good unit that would be a reasonable price, keeping in mind this is my every day driver and work car ( towing 1.5 tonne most of the time)

Thanks for any help

JoseM
30th August 2012, 11:07 PM
Well mate, you've probably solved your problem by now, but since I am on the same path as you (setting up turbo on TB45).
Here are some "good reads" I've been able to find.
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=86831&hilit=tb45
http://www.outerlimits4x4.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=173732

For injectors, I personally like Bosch, since they manufacture a lot of OEM, as well as Denso, which is always good and reliable; however, there are others like AC Delco and what else...

As far as injector capacity, I am not quite certain of the real capacity of the factory injectors, since I've heard anything and everything from 270cc to 350cc; being the last one the one that makes more sense. Since you will be boosting up to 20psi (1.36Bar), I would recommend something on the neighborhood of 1000cc (95lbs/hr).

As far as piggy back, I know of people that have gone as simple as an e-manage to a stand alone, but Chip Torque seems to have a preety complete set up.

One question: Have you done the conrods? These are preety weak, and known to break with little knocking on low boost and definetly after 14psi.

Robo
31st August 2012, 11:59 AM
Why don't you ring the above mentioned company's and ask them what they recommend for their systems.
A larger injector can be de tuned for less power but a small injector can only go so far and can lean out your engine if to undersized for the desired hp, so my advise is larger is a better idea and reputable dyno tune.
And x2 on the rod issue have read the same thing.
GQ rods have been mentioned as up grade somewhere here you may want to research that also.

JuzGU
11th September 2012, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the replies guys
Just got the motor back today from a complete upgrade rebuild, started out as just a simple install of tb42 rods but has turned into a bare block rebuild to be sure it will cope with any power i put through it.
For the computer i ended up getting a emanage ultimate with an r33 plug and play harness ( which only needs some minor rewiring )
Put it in for a trial installation and everything worked fine except the nats lght on the dash flashes when the emanage is plugged in but doesnt affect the motor or drivability
Have tried finding a tb45 base map for the emanage ultimate but even greddy dont have one, so i have just zeroed all the maps for now until it goes to dyno
The injectors are still being decided but i think i will go with around 750cc and see how it goes on the dyno and upsize them later if needed
Am just waiting on the manifold from the uk at the moment, have ordered a custom high mount steam pipe manifold to get better flow and to be able to keep the heater pipes connected
Once the motor is in i am going to run it with the standard manifold and injectors with no turbo for a few weeks while waiting on the manifold
Once finished it will be going straight to JPC in Thomastown to get tuned ( going to get two map setups,one for towing and one for playing)
They have done about 20 petrol turbo patrols and alot of comp 4wds

Once it is all finished i will upload some pics